Continuation of mini trip to OC…instead of spending all our 4 days just in Disneyland and/or California Adventure, I checked around the area top make sure that it will work for all of our kids’ interest. Ari likes drawing, animé anything artsy. Vici likes to eat savory dishes and adventure of the outdoor. And Alree, she loves Disney characters… Me and hubby want to have them a great vacation/summer before going back to school.
I have to say, there’s lots of fun and free places in OC. The beaches, library, hiking and so much more!
But in our case we already have things planned and verified:
TOp things to eat at the ORANGE county fair
Did I shared with you that WE ARE FOODIES! FOOD CONNECT US, aside from FAITH, it’s definitely yummy FOOD! Excerpt from various sources (thank you LA TIMES and Pinterest)
- For fair’s early crowd try some of their breakfast, check out Bacon A-Fair’s new French toast bacon bombs. These balls of sweet dough are filled with cream cheese, wrapped with bacon, deep-fried and topped with whipped cream, syrup and cinnamon sugar. Each one comes on a stick. (I’m not into pork products, so skipping this one)
- Biggy’s owner Dominic Palmieri said last year’s bacon-wrapped pork belly went over well with the fair crowd. And that’s why this year, he decided to step it up a notch by debuting a bacon-wrapped pork belly corndog. It’s pork belly on a stick wrapped in two feet of bacon, breaded and fried with your choice of dipping sauce.
- There is this thing called “fried butter” makes you want to eat a salad and run around the block (that will be me), you aren’t alone. But in reality, eating a fried butter ball is like eating a mini rolled-up pancake, unless you actually eat the glob of butter in the middle, by itself. To make fried butter or “butter balls,” butter is frozen, slathered in batter, fried and then topped with syrup and powdered sugar.
- For $8, you get four butter balls or one fried Nutella. To make fried Nutella, the chocolate hazelnut spread is frozen, dipped in batter, fried and served on a stick.
- The Daenerys Mother of Doggies is a not-so-subtle nod to “Game of Thrones” character Daenerys Targaryen. The owners Dale and Celia Smith are fans of the show who said they wanted to create something inspired by the fireproof character. So they took their spicy Polish dog and made it hotter with Sriracha, sauerkraut, onions and red radish. They top it with some sour cream to cool it down, but you still need water with this one.
- The Lord of the Rings Dog consists of a beef hot dog, onion rings and barbecue sauce. Because the super spicy dog isn’t for everyone, the Smiths said they’ve sold more Lord of the Rings Dogs.
- If fried food isn’t on your diet, Dara and Dane Baldwin’s smoothie booth has a new pineapple drink on the menu. It’s a blend of pineapple juice and cream of coconut topped with coconut shavings (there’s no added sugar). And you drink it right out of an open pineapple, complete with an umbrella. Next to the smoothie booth is the couple’s
- Cinnamon roll booth is one to check out they are sticking to the traditional cinnamon roll.
- If it’s classic fried chicken you are looking for, head to Chicken Charlie’s. Nee to Chicken Charlie’s this year are bacon-wrapped fried chicken legs; chicken in a waffle on a stick; and steak and lobster. There is definitely a steak and lobster at the fair — grilled steak and fried lobster are tossed with Doritos and nacho cheese (really odd sounding dish). If that is something that you rather skip, checkout Charlie’s pineapple shrimp fried rice instead. The brothers decided to put their own spin on their favorite restaurant dish — shrimp fried rice. Rice balls are breaded and fried and placed on a stick with fried shrimp. You can dip them in soy, cocktail or teriyaki sauce.
- S’moreo doughnuts has a new doughnut, and just like all its other doughnuts, it’s definitely meant to be shared. The “s’moreo” has everything a s’more has — marshmallow creme, chocolate and graham cracker — but this booth added crushed Oreos to the mix.
- Tasti burger added two new burgers to its menu this season, including the bacon cheddar brat burger. It has your burger basics: meat, cheese, lettuce and tomato. But this burger is topped with a bratwurst, bacon and barbecue sauce as well.
- Also new additions: Bacon Nutella pickle (Pickle O’ Pete’s), deep-fried pizza log (Apple Fries), Diabilito sundae (Fruit Caboose), Kool-Aid hot wings (Chicken Charlie’s), Dole whip (Crutchee’s Ice Cream), bacon-wrapped baked potato (Bacon A-Fair), All American Reuben burger (Grant’s Tasti Burger), pickle fries and pickled Cheese on a stick (Pickle O’ Pete’s), Som-Mor-Bacon (Fruit Caboose), bison burger (Juicy’s), lasagna sandwich (Pignotti’s Pasta), Oreo churro (Dutchmen’s Funnel Cake).
The Orange County Fair is open noon to midnight Wednesday through Friday and 10 a.m. to midnight Saturday and Sunday. The fair will continue until Aug. 14 at 100 Fair Drive in Costa Mesa. More information is available
Please leave us a comment or suggestions, we love to hear from you!